Recent comments

• Maybe I can shed some light on "old school." If your gym teacher is an "old fart" like myself (I grew up in the early 1960's, so,yes, that makes me "old" and qualifies me to answer this blog) than maybe you have been taught some of the original 4 square rules. We learned 4 square by different rules than what I see being played today. For example,

1) We had to stay within our squares to play. No stepping completely out of the squares (one foot had to stay in) or you were eliminated. Somewhere over the years, someone didn't like getting sent to the back of the line by this rule and decided to change it and it caught on so now you can go anywhere on the court, so it seems.

2) Due to rule one, your best move was to make the ball travel low but straight at the person which made it difficult to hit back.

3) Another rule we had was that the ball HAD to bounce in your square once. No hitting it in the air, without a bounce in your square, into someone else's square...that made you out.

4) Due to #2 and 3 above, a defensive maneuver was allowing the ball to deflect off your hands (tap, not catch) or body and into your square once to hit it. Also, along with the no catching rule was the rule that there were no double hits (deflecting the ball with your hands was not considered a hit as long as the ball was deflected into your own square and was not being propelled into someone else's square.

5) Which brings me to the last rule that we played by. Your hands (one or both) were the only thing you could use to propel the ball towards another person's square. Kicks, head butts, etc. were not allowed...after all, this isn't kick ball or soccer, it is 4 square.

So, maybe some of you think there were too many rules back in the old days but I think the game has evolved to what it is now because someone didn't like the original rules and decided to change them and it got passed around and stuck and that's OK too. But if your gym teacher is over 45 and learned the game when he/she was a kid chances are you may be using one of the rules above that are now considered "old school." There are two important things to know about 4 square. The 2nd most important thing is that you talk about the rules you want to play by and everyone knows and agrees to them before you start the game and the first important thing is that you have FUN!!!

Old timer gym teacher (not verified) | 2 years 23 weeks ago | View
  • So regulation size courts are 16'x16' with 8' squares. How do you scale this down for elementary age players? Any recommendations?

Anonymous (not verified) | 2 years 23 weeks ago | View
  • Hey dude,what happen to you? I hope you are fine by now.

Mino (not verified) | 2 years 23 weeks ago | View
  • At my school, tea party is where you have to sit down and pass the ball. And us stop is where they are aloud to hold the ball if they say us stop. We dont have a mailox either. And we play it as King is the highest,then Queen, the Jack and then dungeon (Or dunj). And we have to ounce it in our square fist or else its a "full". Ah, I love australian Rules. (ut only the grade 1er's use bus-stops)

Anonymous (not verified) | 2 years 25 weeks ago | View
  • It is a great game to play with your children, but you shouldn't let your competitive side get the better of you. Everyone should still enjoy it. If you can't play nice, just go for thunderstruck 2 instead.

Anonymous (not verified) | 2 years 27 weeks ago | View
  • In my school black majic is when the person in square four throws the ball in the air and claps as many times as she can then passes it on to the person in square three and she has to clap one more time than square four did

Anonymous (not verified) | 2 years 29 weeks ago | View
  • Alright. Thanks for letting me know sean

Themightymerg (not verified) | 2 years 33 weeks ago | View
  • If the ball lands in a person's square then that person is REQUIRED to hit it before it bounces again. If they don't then they are out. In your case, the first person is out.

sean | 2 years 33 weeks ago | View
  • Fixed.

sean | 2 years 34 weeks ago | View
  • Hey, you removed all the links in there, where can i find a score sheet

Anonymous (not verified) | 2 years 36 weeks ago | View

Mailing List

Get announcements, not spam!

Manage my subscriptions